Our timeline is always growing and changing, if you know of a signficant date in our town’s or residents history they get in touch.
Oswestry Town Museum Timeline stretches from the formation of the rocks that Oswestry sits on right up to the present day. We have to remember that what happens this year is next year’s history, in particular, visitors to the town next year could be interested in what happened the previous year as being part of the history of the town. We plan to update the Timeline to reflect the changes in Oswestry.
All timelines include well known famous people and events and in this instance, we will be no different but in an innovative move, we plan to include local people who have been involved in an event or done something that was important to Oswestry and in some cases the rest of the world but which did not make them famous!
Coming soon – if you would like to be involved in populating this section – click on the button above!
Crickheath Tramway. 3 mile horse drawn narrow gauge railway from Porthywaen quarries to wharves on the 1820 by the Earl of Powys. In use still horse drawn until 1913!
Baptist Church established, opens in English Walls
Oswestry Street act, for paving and lighting the streets
Escape of GeneralPhillipon and Lieutenant Ganier, two French prisoners of war paroled to Oswestry
Welsh Calvinistic Methodist Chapel opens in Castle Street, replaced in 1337 by Seion Chapel in Gatacre Place
William Price publishes the Rev. Peter Roberts’ History of Oswestry
New Theatre opens in Willow Street
Richard Roberts opens Oswestry’s first gas works in Willow Street
Launch of Oswestry Herald
William Doughty, founder of Primative Methodism in Oswestry commences outdoor preaching on the Bailey Head and is arrested
Birth of Askew Roberts, founder of the Advertiser
Battle of Chirk Bridge
Incident in election relating to white horse
The Lord’s market tolls were bought out by public subscription
Cae Glas mansion demolised
Holy trinity Church opens
‘Railway Mania’ Takes Hold. When painted delusions, gaudy shams and grandiloquence carried the day. Where gilded puffs and painted paragraphs enticed and allured potential investors into the new fangled steam railways.
Kent Place in Roft Street and Porkington Terrace in Willow Street are built
National school built in Welsh Walls
Hermon Welsh Congregationalist Chapel opens
Cross market opens for business
Oswestry’s First Railway Line. Was a branch off the Shrewsbury and Chester line at Gobowen. Originally it had been intended that Oswestry was to be on the S & C line but landowners blocked this option.
Shrewsbury Station. The Joint Station Committee chooses a design by Oswestry architect Thomas K. Penson.
Last races held at Oswestry Racecourse
Launch of Oswestry Advertiser & Railway Guide initially as a monthly newspaper
Smithfield and Horsemarkets open for business
Improvements to Powis Hall market
Publication of William Cathrall’s History of Oswestry
Second Line for Oswestry. Opened in May 1860 by the Oswestry and Newtown Railway from a separate station near the Shrewsbury & Chester terminus. It ran to Buttington junction joining with the Shrewsbury and Welshpool line operated by the London and North
First annual Agricultural Show held on Smithfield in English Walls
Opening of Cemetery at foot of Salop Road
A Welsh Rural Branch Line. The Oswestry and Newtown railway opens a branch line from Llanymynech to Llanfyllin. Has stations at Llansantffraid and Llanfecchain with halts at Carreghofa and Bryngwyn.
Hermon Welsh Congregationalist Chapel rebuilt
Public Hall (later the Plaza) opens in Oswald Road
The Victoria Rooms opens
Third Line to Oswestry. The Oswestry, Ellesmere & Whitchurch Railway despite stiff opposition from landowners brings it’s line into Oswestry from the north east. It’s route also creates a second station for the village of Whittington.
Birth of the Cambrian Railway. Created by the amalgamation of the Oswestry & Newtown; the Oswestry, Ellesmere and Whitchurch; the Llanidloes & Newtown and the Newtown & Machynlleth Railways.
Roman Catholic Mission Church founded in Castle Fields
Oswestry Becomes a Railway Town. The newly formed Cambrian Railways moves it’s headquarters to Oswestry. And at a cost of £28,000 also builds large railway workshops to repair and build steam locomotives.
Construction of Penygwely reservoir to provide water supply for Oswestry
Far Reaching Connections. The newly formed Cambrian Railways also completes it’s Main Line in this year running from Whitchurch to Aberystwyth. Also there are connections north for Chester and beyond as well as south via Shrewsbury and beyond.
A ‘Potty’ Folly? The Potteries, Shrewsbury and North Wales Railway builds a twin track line from a terminus at Abbey Foregate in Shrewsbury that joins the Cambrian line at Llanymynech.
Birth of Agnes Hunt co-founder of the Orthopaedic Hospital
New Wesleyan Chapel opens on corner of Beatrice Street and King Street
Christ Church opens
Birth of Oswestry Town footballer Charles Parry
St Oswald’s reopens after major restorationby the architect G.E.Street
Renovation of Llwyd Mansion
Horeb Welsh Wesleyan MethodistChapel opens replacing chapel in Penylan Lane
Oswestry Prospers. Whilst many small towns have been damaged by the introduction of railways Oswestry has wholly benefited. It’s trade has increased and it’s boundary’s expanded. The shops have improved and there is a greater air of business about it’s in
Oswestry provides nine of the Welsh football team which plays England at the Kensington Oval
Opening of Our Lady & St Oswald Catholic Church
A ‘Potty’ Folly Fails. The Potteries, Shrewsbury and North Wales Railway line from Shrewsbury to Llanymynech closes. Most of it’s other stations were miles from the villages they were meant to serve.
Work commences on the construction of the Lake Vyrnwy reservoir, the aquaduct taking water to Liverpool passes under Oswestry
Oswestry win the Welsh Cup for the first time
First use of electric lighting at meeting of Oswestry & Welshpool Naturalists Field Club
Death of Colonel Fred Burnaby, old boy of Oswestry School, at battle of Abu Klea
Formation of Offa Field Club
Laying of foundation stones of new English Calinistic Methodist chapel in Oswald Road
Penuel Welsh Baptist Chapel built in Castle Street
Castle Bank opened to the public as a recreation area
Closure of New Trefonen Colliery, last pit in the Oswestry coalfield
New Guildhall opens
New English Baptist Chapel opens in Salop Road
Electric lighting installed at The Quinta, the first in the area
Birth of Wilfred Owen at Plas Wilmot
Setting up of the Oswestry Electric Lighting & Power Company
Extension of Penygwely reservoir to meet growing needs of the town
Building of Town Baths in Victoria Street
Slow Line for the Tanat Valley. The Light Railways Act of 1896 allows for cheaper railways by virtue of restricting the line speed to 25mph. The Tanat Valley Railway receives it’s Light Railway Order in this year.
Building of Methodist Church at Castle Street crossroads
Town acquires new steam fire engine
Opening of new Primitive Methodist Chapel on corner of Chapel Street and Castle Street
Children’s Convalescent Home opened at Florence House, Baschurch
Masonic Hall completed in Roft Street
Easier Access to Oswestry. The Tanat Valley Light Railway opens having been constructed by 125 men who shocked the locals by working on Sundays as well! It took some 1,600 tons of flat bottomed rail to complete the line.
Unveiling of cross as a memorial to Rev. C.W.N. Ogilvy in St Oswald’s Churchyard
Treasure trove of coins found near Brynhafod Lane
Buffalo Bill visits Oswestry
Birth of Herbert Roberts footballer
Memorial Hall opens
Roller skating rink built at the foot of Oswald Road, later used as the bus station
Opening of Cae Glass park
If You Don’t First Succeed…The Light Railways Act also creates the Shropshire and Mongomeryshire Light Railway which hopes to revive the long derelict line from Shrewsbury to Llanymynech with a grand opening in this year.
Birth of Mary Hignett – Teacher, naturalist and author
c. 1913 Opening of St David’s Church in Welsh Walls
Birth of Barabara Pym – Novelist
Birth of Ivor Roberts-Jones – Sculptor
Brigadier General John Vaughan Campbell of Broom Hall receives the Victoria Cross
Sergeant Harold Whitfield of Middleton receives the Victoria Cross
Death of Wilfred Owen
Park Hall is destroyed by a disastrous fire
Issac Watkin’s ‘Oswestry’ is published
Shropshire Orthopaedic Hospital founded – Agnes Hunt and Robert Jones move from Baschurch to the former military hospital at Park Hall
Formal opening of what became known as the Shropshire Orthopaedic Hospital, using the former military buildings at Park Hall
Opening of Woodside Municipal estate, Oswestry’s first council houses
Opening of Oswestry Technical Institute in King Street
Four Major Railways Born. Of the four the Great Western Railway absorbs the Cambrian Railway network of lines. A consequence of this is that Oswestry now has only one station. With the 1885 GWR terminus now being used for goods traffic.
Herbie Roberts transferred from Oswestry to Arsenal
Foot and Mouth Outbreak
Birth of John Biffen – MP for Oswestry and North Shropshire 1961-1994
Opening of the Regal Cinema by Dame Agnes Hunt
Oswestry gets its first motor fire engine
c. 1934 Street lighting changes from gas to electric
Sir Henry Walford Davies appointed Master of the Kings Music, succeeding Sir Edward Elgar
Traffic lights installed on Sun corner
Woodside school opens, replacing former Holy Trinity school
Oswestry Cottage Hospital, later the Oswestry & District Hospital, opens in Upper Brook Street, moving from Welsh Walls
Excavation of Old Oswestry by W.J. Varley and B.H. St John O’Neil
Coventry climax moves to Oswestry, setting up in the Cross market and in Victoria Road
c. 1944 Birth of Julian Freeman-Attwood – Mountaineer and explorer
c. 1945 Oswestry Corporation’s post-war house building starts on site adjacent to Liverpool Road West
Oswestry Cricket club moves from Victoria Road to Morda Road
Death of Dame Agnes Hunt at the age of 80. Her ashes are buried in Baschurch graveyard
Demolition of Llanforda Hall
Tanat Valley Railway closes
Birth of Peter Edwards – Portrait artist
Lord and Lady Harlech cease to live at Brogyntyn Hall
News appears on the front page of the Advertiser for the first time
Discussion begins regarding clearing of Oswestry ‘slums’
Post Office National Network Management Centre established
Formal opening of College of Further Education in College road
Bailey Head pump is removed to make more room for market stallholders
Finally The End is Nigh. The Shropshire and Mongomeryshire Light Railway closes permanently after use by the War Department. In the 94 year history of the line it had carried passengers for 34 years. While for 33 years had been totally disused.
Cross Market demolished
Advertizer published bi-weekly
Foot and Mouth outbreak
Oswestry library moves from Guildhall to former Art school in Arthur Street
Produce and Retail market moves from The Cross to new Powis Hall market
Llanfyllin railway closes as well as Whitchurch through Oswestry to Welshpool.
Last scheduled passenger rail service between Gobowen and Oswestry
Disastrous foot and mouth epidemic starts in October
Local government reorganisation results in creation of the Rural Borough of Oswestry and reduction in powers of existing Town council
Closure of Ifton colliery, the last in North Shropshire
Last cattle market in town centre Smithfield and opening of new Smithfield on Shrewsbury Road
Opening of Oswestry and Border Citizens Advice Bureau
Demolition of Gas works in Victoria Road
Demolition of Oak Street Tannery
Local government reorganisation results in the Rural Borough Council becoming the Town Council
Closure of Park Hall Camp
Demolition of Plaza Ballroom in Oswald Road
Opening of Leisure centre in College Road by Princess Ann
Memorial Hall renovated
Honeysuckle Wholefood Co-operative opens
Laura Ashley factory opens on Maesbury road Industrial estate
Demolition of Lloran House on corner of Upper Brook Street and Welsh Walls
c. 1980 Broom Hall is demolished
Oswestry twinned with Combs-la-Ville
Demolition of towns last air raid shelter, Horse Market
Morda House gutted by fire and demolished
National Network Management Centre (BT) moves to Whittington House
Kingswell Centre opens in Arthur Street
The Quinta opens as the The Quinta Christian Centre
Opening of A5/A483 Oswestry Bypass and Mile Tourist Information Centre
Stone trains run to Blodwell quarry until this date
c. 1989 Bailey Street, New Street and Albion Hill pedestrianised
1st Public meeting of the Wilfred Owen Association
Ian Woosnam wins US Masters
Closure of Regal cinema
Brogyntyn Hall and estate put on the market by Lord Harlech
Demolition of Oswestry & District Hospital building
Oswestry Town Football Club merges with Llansanffraid TNS
Unveiling of ‘Mile Oak’ sculpture at Plas Ffynnon Millennium Green
Unveiling of restored stone fountain and market cross at the Cross
Oswestry Bourough Council buys Shelf bank as open space and wildlife area
Colin Francis Powell awarded the MBE for services to the Oswestry Talking Newspaper in Shropshire
New Oswestry library opened by Frank Cottrell Boyce
First steam train for more than 40 years runs on the Nant Mawr branch railway line
Opening of Wilfred Owen Green
Tant Valley Light Railway group win Pride of Shropshire Environmental award for their nature trails
Opening of Oswald park active lifestyle centre in Shrewsbury Road
Death of William Mostyn-Owen
Opening of Oswestry Town Museum
Parking available at the rear of the Museum in the Horsemarket car park. Postcode: SY11 1JS
Please contact the museum directly for further details on disabled access.
Every September some 46,000 volunteers across England organise
5,500 events to celebrate our fantastic history and culture.
It’s your chance to see hidden places and try out new experiences in Oswestry and Beyond – all of which are FREE to explore.
The theme for 2021 is Edible England!