The Magistrates’ Court
The Magistrates’ Court was held here from the end of the nineteenth century to the beginning of the twenty-first century. This was where minor offences were decided, or cases were passed onto a higher court if they were more serious. There was no jury.
Exhibits in this room include; the Pegasus Stone, found near the new Hillfort lay-by in 2008 by the Shropshire Highways Department; information about the Tanat Valley Railway; a pictorial reminder of Oswestry then and now; memorabilia of the Oswestry Musical Theatre Company, and also the Porthywaen Silver Band; a history of the mining industry around Oswestry including the Ifton Colliery; a detailed discussion of the Harlech Dynasty (the Ormsby-Gore family); the original Oswestry Borough Council Town Seal; and a bound copy of the North Wales Newspapers for 1917